Thursday, June 6, 2013

When 'I love you' goes wrong

An anecdote I've wanted to share ...

So Milo, Max and I are settling in for book time before bed one night recently, and Milo tells me, "I love you, Dad." This isn't particularly unusual for Milo. He's pretty affectionate, and routinely will pause to tell me he loves me. On the other hand, Max is never moved to such displays. Every now and then, I'll get a "me, too" from him after I tell him, "I love you, Max."

So in my typical reply, I tell Milo, "I love you, too, Milo" and give him a hug. But this time, he asks me, "Do you know why I tell you that?"

I say, "No, why?"

"Because you're going to die someday, and I won't have a chance to tell you anymore."

Um ... "That's true, Milo. It's a good idea to tell people how you feel when you can."

Max thinks quietly for a bit, then blurts out, "I love you, Dad."

No comments:

Post a Comment